Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cafe Rio Chicken Recipe (At least thats what I call it)

Ok, so I know this is kinda a funny post but, I was so proud of myself for makin this yummy chicken. It was so easy too! I almost feel guilty, because I really didn't do anything...the crock pot did it all. :) I thought I'd share this with you since I know a lot of you are busy working moms like me, and it's not easy to make quick and healthy meals for your family with a little one. And... as some of you know, Sale is allergic to dairy and eggs. So...this makes it difficult to make a easy yummy dinner that is "safe" for him. So again...my amazing sis in-law Jen Ortgiesen, (she is the best) gave me this recipe when I was at her house last week doin Halia's Valentine pics. I wish she would've gave it to me sooner, it would've saved my starving husband with a too fast metabolism. J/K. Anyways, I have to admit that I was a little suspect that it would really taste like the sweet Cafe Rio chicken. There is only 2 ingredients besides the chicken so it was hard to believe. Here is the recipe.


Cafe Rio Chicken

4 chicken breasts (I put them in frozen because I forgot to thaw)
1 jar salsa (I prefer mild in the next size up from the small jar)
1C. brown sugar

Cook on low setting in crock pot for about 6 hrs or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Shred chicken in pot and add sugar if needed till your liking of sweetness is reached. (I didn't need to)

We used the wheat tortillas, but you can get the yummy raw ones that you fry up in a pan. It makes it real authentic. Add all your fixins of beans, rice, cheese, lettuce, etc. whatever you like to make your dinner feel like your at Cafe Rio. :)

That is seriously all you do. I came home from work yesterday and dinner was basically ready! Sale loved it! Next time we are going to try it with the beef roast.

I would love to hear your reviews when you try it. If you have any easy non-dairy recipe's for me, that would so appreciated. I'm running out of ideas. (my poor husband)

6 comments:

Jeff and Erin said...

I love quick and easy and can't wait to try it! The crock pot is my favorite, throw it all together and it's ready when you get home :)
I'm glad that Halia loves her burb clothes :)

The DeGiulio's said...

sounds way yummy, I'll definately have to try it. Im always looking for new easy recipes. And I dont think its a silly post at all.

Michelle said...

Wow, that sounds easy! I'll have to try it! I love Cafe Rio!

hoLLY said...

what a great idea, sounds yummy, im totally going to try it!!!!

The Tracys said...

I just found your blog! It's so cute! Halia is such a cutie! She always looks adorable! I'll have to try this dinner. Crock pot recipes are great!

Tami said...

I'm totally going to try this recipe! Hey... how do you know Erin? I see she commented... We went to High School together back when she was Erin Beecher!